Assured Standard Logo
FREE Quote

What Do I Need To Get My Own Authority

What Do I Need To Get My Own Authority

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reserves operating authority permits for legitimate owner-operators. To qualify for one, register your trucking business, get an employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS, secure a USDOT and MC number, apply for the required insurance coverage, and file your International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) account.

How to Get an Operating Authority

There are typically two ways to apply for an operating authority: via the Unified Registration System (URS) or U.S. mail carriers.

Unified Registration System (URS)

New applicants who do not have an MC or USDOT number yet can send their applications in through the URS. The platform has straightforward instructions to guide you through the process. Meanwhile, truckers who already have a USDOT number and need additional authority can head over to the FMCSA legacy registration system.

Credit or Check Through U.S. Mail Carriers

FMCSA-registered motor carriers that need additional operating authority can submit their request via U.S. mail carriers. They accept payments via checks and credit cards.

Send credit card payments and completed forms to:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, MC-RS

Room W65-206

Washington, DC 20590

Send check payments and completed forms to:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

P. O. BOX 6200-33

Portland, OR 97228-6200

Overall, getting an operating authority is not as complex as most newbies fear. The process might seem intimidating, but extensive preparation effectively reduces any risk of delay or mishap. Send the necessary paperwork right from the get-go.

The SAFER platform also makes it easier to check your application process. Just enter your MC and USDOT number in the License and Insurance section, and you’ll see an in-depth update on your application status.

Do you need a quick primer on the trucking insurance FMCSA requires? Let Assured Standard shed some light on the topic. Use our piece on commercial truck liability insurance policies as a reference.

Was this article helpful?
About the Author
assured standard logo
Assured Standard will protect your business with the right insurance, depending on your needs. Now more than ever, it’s crucial to have the right general liability insurance experts on your side. Protecting the future of your business starts today.
Commercial Truck Insurance
Business Insurance
Copyright © 2023 Assured Standard. All Rights Reserved.
cross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram